Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Blue Doors of Tunis




Two years ago I took a holiday in Tunisia. Prior to this trip, I was rather confounded as to the desirability of this vacation destination. Yes, perhaps Lord Byron waxed poetic and Eugene Delacroix consumed great canvases with North African Scenes but I was not yet convinced. 

When I arrived however, I was awestruck by the beauty I found. Not just by the white sand beaches and cool green sea, but the vast bleakness of the desert. The svelte palm trees supplying little shade. The mystic quality of the air and the incredible architecture. Each and every house framed by a blue door, varying from a soft light sky blue to a deep and highly pigmented turquoise. The luxe bougainvillea in jewel tones. 

And now I find that many of fashion's most influential designers are of Tunisian descent; Azzedine Alaia, Hedi Slimane, and Max Azria. Could it be the Proximity to Milan and Paris? Or maybe Tunis is a much more chic locale than it is credited for. Either way, I highly advise a trip. 

xx til next, 
A

No comments: